14 June 2006

more classic video-gaming news

So Ricky Gervais is working on his Q*bert TV show, and I just learned last night that Al Pacino will be playing Mezmaron in the new live-action adaptation of the old Pac-Man cartoon show from the '80s. Al tells me Tom Stoppard is going over the script, and it's supposed to be directed by either Ang Lee or Brian Singer, depending on how the story (and the new Superman's box office, probably!) turns out—pretty different choices, although both of course have superhero experience, which I suppose is relevant, particularly since Al kept talking about the thing as if it were a superhero movie. They haven't picked anybody to play the Man himself. I suggested Norbert Leo Butz from the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels musical, which I saw a year ago, and I also thought "Lauren Weisberger" would be excellent in the role, but Al was very set on the idea that "He's gotta be Robert [Duvall], it can only be Robert," which frankly I can't quite see. I mean, the man is in his 70s. But apparently they've been talking to him about it and he's interested, so I don't know, maybe they'll prove me wrong. Drew's already tentatively attached as Ms. Pac-Man, and I understand Jack Black is dying to play Inky...